Notre-Dame de Paris
6 Parvis Notre-Dame – Pl. Jean-Paul II
75004 Paris, France
Paris is the home of the probably best known church in the world: The cathedral Notre-Dame de Paris. For more than 200 years the best builders of their time fiddled with this magnificent building and made it the crowd puller, which it remains until today. But the cathedral is not only a work of art of architecture, but also a strength place. Here the universal energies unite and create a restful and edifying atmosphere and an unmatched strength place in the heart of this French metropolis.
The history of the building
– Landmark and place of the strength
The construction of the cathedral Notre-Dame de Paris began during the reign of the French king Ludwig VII in 1163. The well-known crusader wanted to set an example of his faith in his capital far away from the fighting in the Holy Land and gain the favor of Church. The construction of the cathedral Notre-Dame de Paris was divided into three construction phases in total and the last one wasn’t officially finalized until 1250.
In the meantime not only the kings and bishops changed but also the architectural styles. The fact that the cathedral Notre-Dame-de Paris today is one of the biggest churches in the world which unites the Gothic and Romantic styles is owed to that change in epochs. The mid 14th century saw the last enlargements of the transept, which was partially completely torn down and rebuild in the Gothic style. The official completion of the last construction works at the cathedral can be dated to the first years of the 14th century. Therefore, Raymond du Temple had to be the last construction supervisor.
The age of the enlightenment brought further innovations and renovations, but probably also the biggest destruction for the church with it. The French revolution triumphed, but at the same time it also caused the cathedral Notre-Dame de Paris to lose many works of art which were irreparably destroyed by the revolutionaries. Subsequently, the church served as a wine depot and only the famous emperor Napoleon allowed its liturgical use again. But the decay could not be stopped however and well into the first years the 19th century the cathedral became ever more unattractive.
It wasn’t until the publication of the novel “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” that the building once again moved into the public’s interest and ensured that comprehensive renovation and restoration works were undertaken. These persist until today, but today the cathedral has become more than impressive and has become a landmark of the French republic and the capital.
A strength place in the middle of Paris
The city of love and life is famous to superbly entertain and its guests and to give them unforgettable moments. Exactly such a moment of internal strength and peace can be found inside the cathedral. The strength place already radiates a kind of timelessness at first sight and with its monumentality and its classical beauty it is far more than only a landmark of the region. This energetic correlation effect distinguishes the strength place and accompanies the visitor from his first step through the main portal to his walk through the impressive nave.
Open daily 1 April to 30 September: 10.00 am bis 06.30 pm
open until late in July and August, Friday, Saturday 10.00 am to 11.00 pm
1 October to 31 March: 10.00 am to 05.30 pm
Last admission 45 minutes before closing
on January 1, May 1 and December 25th